Vegan pulled pork? Doesn’t sound right, does it? But it is the latest craze.
Cooked jackfruit takes on the consistency and look of pulled pork. Fresh jackfruit is hard to come by in Sydney, but I was curious and so I got packaged jackfruit to give it a try. Yes, not ideal as it came in a plastic pouch, but my curiosity was too much (and the pouch will go into a RedCycle bin at least).
The jackfruit came all pre-cooked, so all you need to do is give it the flavour you want and stir fry it for 5-7 minutes and it is all done.
I enjoyed it tex-mex style with a home made BBQ sauce and other organic ingredients. Here is the recipe.
What you need:
- For the BBQ sauce (this is the most important part of the dish), mix ingredients well and taste.
- 1 cup organic tomato sauce
- 1 dash of smoked paprika powder
- 1/2 tea spoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 tea spoon onion powder
- A good dash of kecap manis (or soy sauce mixed with maple syrup)
- brown sugar if needed
- 300-400g of pre-cooked jackfruit with half of the BBQ sauce added
- Fresh avocado, smashed and seasoned (plus a dash of fresh lime juice)
- Tortillas (ideally home made)
- Veggies of your liking, I used regular and purple raw carrots, cut in strips and grated
Stir fry the jackfruit with the BBQ sauce and a little oil for 5-7 minutes until all heated through.
Heat tortillas, spread out avocado, arrange carrots and jackfruit. Drizzle with BBQ sauce, wrap it into a burrito and enjoy. I added home made sweet potato crisps.
Absolutely delicious!Have you tried jackfruit before? What do you think?