What to do with old t-shirts? They are not good enough to wear anymore, so you can’t donate them to a charity or second-hand shop, but they are still too good to turn into rags or even throw away (or way better compost if it is natural cotton or bamboo).
There is an easy way to re-purpose and upcycle them into lovely bags that are light-weight and easy to carry around – and depending on the t-shirt you use look stylish and/or fun. 😉
So, how does it work? It is so easy that even the kids can get involved (just be careful with the scissors).
What you need:
- An old t-shirt
- Cut off the arms of the t-shirt
2. It is easier if you fold the t-shirt in half, so you get equally sized holes on both sides.
3. Now cut about 1 cm wide and 5-10 cm long slits at the bottom of the t-shirt using your scissors.
4. Don’t forget to cut out the neckline area, this will determine how wide and easy to fill your bag will be. You can use a bowl to make it more even or go freestyle.
5. Last but not least, and this is probably the trickiest part, knot the cut-out slits together. If you want tassels on the outside, leave the t-shirt with the outside out, but if you want a more even bottom for the bag, turn it inside-out. Ideally start with knotting each pair together and then intertwine them with the one next to them and so on. Ensure you don’t have any holes in-between.
6. That’s it! So easy and quick to make. And they make a nice present as well. 🙂